Thursday, December 10, 2009

Crazy Soccer Girls!!

Earlier in the semester we watched the video of the girls soccer team from New Mexico. In the video, one of the worst portraits of sportsmanship was portrayed by on of the female athletes, as she tripped, and pulled the hair of girls from the opposite teams.

Yes. What this athlete did was horrible, and she deserved to be red carded from the game, if not kicked off of the team, but what I believe many may not see through this story, is that the only national coverage the New Mexico team had about their soccer program (which happened to be very good) is when this athlete acted out.

Anyone who follows sports can't argue that 98% of all TV coverage, especially on ESPN or other major networks only show, or dominantly show male sports. Just the other day I was flipping through the channels, just as a news reporter was saying that a female athlete had announced her engagement. They only type of personal coverage female athletes have are usually about personal issues, or when they do something un-lady-like, (The New Mexico Soccer Girl).

I feel guilty saying this, but I'm the member of the "If girls are playing, I'm probably going to change channel" club. I currently work for the athletic department, and I purposely schedule myself to not work any female sports. Why? I think many would agree that male sports are quicker, more entertaining, and easier to watch.

Even though many people feel the way I do, I still believe that females should have a bit more TV coverage, and not only when they do something wrong, or tie the knot.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that there should be more coverage of women's sports. Who knows--maybe people would actually find that there is something worth watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. สล็อต เว็บ ตรง จากค่ายเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ชื่อดังอันดับ 1 ที่นักพนันทั่วโลกให้การยอมรับว่าเป็นค่ายเกมสล็อตออนไลน์ที่ดีที่สุดตลอดกาลกับค่าย PG SLOT ที่มาแรงที่สุดในปี 2022

    ReplyDelete